Hey babes, i missed you all. I’m sure you all did too. Damn, this weather is so hot, i wonder why I’m still in Nigeria 😂.
Protective styles are great because they require no manipulation, encourage length retention, reduces breakage and gives you a new look. There are necessary steps you should take not only when your protective style is installed or when your remove it, but also before you put another protective style back on.
Do not leave a protective style on for more than 8 weeks. Actually I change my P.S at least every two weeks for short term protective style and at most every 4 weeks for long term protective style. I can’t imagine not deep conditioning or washing my hair at least once a month. We all know that our natural hair isn’t cared for enough underneath when a protective style is in and leads to dryness and breakage. There are few things that I always do whenever I’m planning to put on a Protective style and I’m going to share those tips with you so you can limit breakage.
- Cleanse– before installing a protective style, you must remove any product build-up from your hair using either a clarifying shampoo, Apple Cider Vinegar rinse or Bentonite clay treatment. It is important you start with a freshly washed hair to prevent itchiness, dryness & product build up.
- Deep condition– it is extremely important to deep condition before installing your next protective style. Deep conditione helps keep your hair moisturized and retain length and also give you a healthy hair. I use the ORS olive oil replenishing conditioner mixed with raw honey & mayonnaise for a perfect protein deep conditioner. Or Cantu deep conditioning masque.
- Trim your ends– if you haven’t trimmed your hair in the last 3 months, you really need to trim your hair before installing a new protective style. This is an important step that reduce breakage & split ends as it is pointless to hold on to ends that are frizzed & split. Make sure your ends are in good shape and moisturize & seal them before & after installing a protective style.
- Moisturize & Seal– it is important to keep moisture in your hair before applying a protective style. Detangle your hair first by using your fingers or a wide tooth comb. Choose a conditioner based on your hair type, density and porosity. Do seal your hair with butters (shea butter or mango butter) and oils. I use the Cantu leave-in conditioner and a DIY shea butter/extra virgin olive oil & coconut oil to seal my hair.
- Find a good stylist and choose what works best for your hair– most of us do check instagram and you-tube to pick a protective style which is quite normal. But some protective styles do not fit or look good on some of you. I prefer simple conrows with my hair or braids and faux locs (threading). Try and consider things before you jump into a style especially the one you haven’t tried before. Also get a good stylist that understand your hair as much as you do. Make sure he/she is experienced. Do not allow him/her make your hair too tight or cause pain to your hair.
After following these steps, you will be on your way to a healthier hair & length retention.
So babes, how do you prepare your natural hair for protective style? Also, what’s your favorite protective style?? Leave in your comments down below. I’m also opened to topic suggestions.
Much love, ❤
Please do share my post after reading. And don’t forget to like and comment and follow me on social media;