Happy Holiday Beauties,
All skin types have certain advantages and disadvantages. There is this love-hate relationship you have with your skin especially if you have a dry skin type. The love relationship for people who have dry skin is the fact most are not prone to break outs due to acne as there is lack of oil in the skin, hence, clogging of pores is less likely to happen.
However, there are lot of downsides having a dry skin as skin tends to look dull, causes itching, having low levels of sebum production, skin tightness, rough skin, wrinkles and fine lines, flaking and few others. Potential causes of dry skin includes; weather, heat, usage of harsh products and skin conditions.
There are skincare tips and products you can use to help retain moisture, keep your skin hydrated and glowing. Below are skincare tips those with dry skin should consider!!
1. Bathe with Lukewarm water. Hot water is definitely not your friend as it strips your skin of essential oils which causes your skin to feel drier. Limit yourself to 5-10 minutes bathe.
2. Cleanse gently. Use a facial cleanser formulated for your skin type. Deodorant soaps and Skin care products that contains alcohol, fragrance, retinoids, or alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) should be avoided as the they are too harsh for dry, sensitive skin.
Micellar Water is a great cleanser for dry skin type as this is a no-rinse cleansing option that is powered by tiny micelles—oil molecules—that act as a magnet to lift dirt, oil, and makeup up and away from the skin. This can be applied by saturating product onto a cotton pad/ball and wiping across your face.
3. Exfoliate. Exfoliation helps slough off the build up caused by dead skin cells. Scrub your skin at least twice a week. Make sure to use quality product that suit your skin.
4. Moisturize on Damp Skin. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), the best time to apply moisturizer is after cleansing, when your skin is still damp.
Ingredients such as Shea butter, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, Petrolatum and Mineral oil are skin friendly ingredients that help to provide hydration and retain moisture. Heavier moisturizers or cream are less irritating than lotions and are more effective. Try out Neutrogena Hydroboost or Cetaphil moisturizer.
5. Invest in a Good Hand Cream. Carry a non greasy hand cream with you everywhere you go and apply it after hand washing or when your hand feels dry.
6. Always use Sunscreen. Dry skin is already prone to wrinkles & aging. The sun can cause more damage to the skin, therefore, using a good quality sunscreen can help your skin look younger. Try Garnier sun control daily moisturiser or Himalaya herbal protective sunscreen lotion.
7. Wear Lip Balm. Choose a lip balm that feels good on your lips to protect your lips from dust, heavy winds and pollution.
Some healing lip balms can irritate your lips. If your lips sting or tingle after you apply the lip balm, switch to one that does not cause this reaction.
Also, use a lip scrub to exfoliate and nourish your lips. A simple homemade lip scrub with sugar and lemon is good.
8. Use Facial Mist. Use facial mist with hydrating ingredients to help refresh your complexion, increase skin hydration and soothe irritation.
Herbivore Botanicals Rose Hibiscus Hydrating Face Mist and Mario Badescu Facial Spray are great facial mist you should consider.
9. Use fragrance-free laundry detergents and avoid fabric softeners. Avoid wearing wool and other fabrics that can irritate the skin. Wear cotton or silk under your clothing made of wool or another material that feels rough.
Use laundry detergent labeled “hypoallergenic”.
10. See a Dermatologist. If you have tried everything and still see no changes. You may have skin condition like atopic dermatitis (eczema) and may need medications.
I hope these dry skin tips helps you keep your skin at bay💦
Haleemah Al-sadiya 🌹